Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Faux Wood Nautical Sign by DT Member Becki Wagner

I am so excited to announce Becki Wagner of the Happy Card Factory is now part of the Fleurette Bloom Design Team!!! Join us in giving her a big warm welcome!  

Enjoy her 1st of many Creative Design Team projects!   Be sure to leave her a comment to congratulate her and let her know how much you love it!  ~ Fleurette :)


Hello, everyone. I'm a super excited to be here as part of Fleurette's Design Team and work with these wonderful ladies! For my first time sharing with you, I have a pretty nifty project today. A faux wood sign that is perfect for those that love Coastal design. My youngest came over checking out my progress and asked me where I got the wood blocks from. Guess that means I did a pretty good job with Fleurette's files, huh? ;)


For this project I used the "Live, Laugh, Love" kit as the base of my faux wood sign then overlayed the plaques with elements from "Ships Ahoy!" and the "Sunshine" file.


To get the faux wood look on the "Live, Laugh, Love", I used about 4 different colors of Distress Inks. Sponging and dabbing on in various patterns. To give a more weathered look, I took a craft knife and chipped, then frayed the edges of the plaques. I scattered them a bit on the twine to look like they had been hanging in the salt air for a while. The "sand, surf, sun" sentiment does not come in the kit. I used a beach look font with a shadow layer including the starfish that comes with the "Ships Ahoy!" elements.


To get the watercolor effect on the sun and seagull, I used a water brush directly on the Distress Ink pads. To just highlight and contour the cuts. Brushing over with just water to blend and wash out a little color. I really love the way it looks on the sun. The water helped make the paper soft so I could scrape the wing and give a feathery look to the seagull.

Now that I live minutes from the beach, my faux wood sign will help kickstart the re-decorating of my living room to a fabulous coastal look. I can't wait to hang it! 

I really hoped you enjoyed my first project as part of the team. If you would like to see more of my work, please stop by the Happy Card Factory. I would love to have you!

Supplies:

No comments:

Post a Comment