Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Basic Starter Watercoloring with Guest Designer Melinda

Happy hump day beautiful people! Today I’m going to share a card technique that I love because the painting is pretty quick and simple. This one will be great for those of you learning to watercolor.


* Cut card base 4x9 inches and top piece at 3 3/4x 8 3/4 inches
* Take the Pondie stencil and some texture paste and smear across the center of your top piece. Set aside to dry while you make the rest of the card.
* Cut 6 1/2 x 8 inch piece of watercolor paper and lay down the large floral and the leaves in the lower left corner of your paper. Stamp the flower with My Jam Purple and the leaves in Trinity Teal. The bud I stamped the top in purple and the lower part with the teal. Flip your paper and repeat the stamping. If you have a stamp positioner leave your stamps in position. If you don’t, no worries you’ll just skip a step.
* Smear some Peacock Blue, My Jam Purple, Trinity Teal and Goddess Green Atelier inks on your craft mat or a plate like I used. Wet the whole flower with your water brush, pick up bits of blue and purple, dab them randomly and just let the ink flow and do it’s thing. Paint the leaves with teal and green.
* After you color everything let it dry. Repeat the stamping process to bring back the detail. Skip this if you don’t have a positioner.
* Move your stamps to the lower right corner and repeat the above steps.
* Stamp the centers of the large flower in black and use a black pen for your bud. Add some white gel pen  highlights.
* Fussy cut everything out and set aside the extra flower and bud. I used all my leaves.
* I used a slim line frame to frame my center and arranged the flowers and leaves until I was happy with the look. I popped one  of the large flowers at each corner and glued everything else to the top panel. I needed a birthday card so I used this sentiment, that like the frame was kicking around on my desk.

I hope you’ll give this technique a try. It’s great for playing around with and getting a feel for watercolors. Have a great rest of the week and be well!

1 comment: